Ghostbusters, like many movie adaptations, has an unusual cheapness to it, feeling very unpolished and rushed throughout the whole game.
Graphically speaking, it was poor, probably due to being ported from the C64 and Atari 800, inferior systems at the time, and helped show Activision's inexperience with the NES console, designing only 10 games for it in total.
Audio in this game is completely terrible. Personally, I would've enjoyed a muted gameplay instead of the 1.. yes, 1 track they play through the entire game, that being the Ghostbusters theme song. (Oh, and they say "Ghostbusters" at the title screen, but that's a horrendous thing to listen to, in 8-bit).
The controls are ok, the car responds well on the overworld and driving sections, and they do move around to capture the ghosts very well, but climbing Zuul's Tower (which.. why is it Zuul's Tower, anyways? Shouldn't it be Gozer's Tower? whatever) is a royal pain. I'm fairly certain that there's no way up that thing without cheating. Hopefully I'm wrong. Anyways, the boss fight moves well, and is relatively simple.
Replayability is miserable, and once you've beaten this once, that's it.. move on.
The story is simple for this game, go in, collect cash by capturing ghosts until you can move into Zuul's Tower, head up and kill the final boss. That's it. I don't think I've seen a more straightforward game in my life. And if you do kill the boss, and finish the game (good luck getting up the tower). You'll be greeted with one of the worst translations of a credits screen ever.
Rating: Don't bother, unless you're drunk.. or bored.
No comments:
Post a Comment